WELCOME...

to Bishop David's blog. Here you can find news, information, articles and pictures about the Church of England Diocese in Europe. We have over 300 congregations or worship centres serving Anglican and (mostly) English-speaking people in Europe, Morocco, Turkey, Russia and some central Asian countries.


For official diocesan information please click the diocesan logo on the right.



Saturday, 22 January 2011

Ecumenical Vignette from the Aquitaine


The Revd Gill Strachan is one of the assistant chaplains serving the Anglican Church in Aquitaine, a vast parish with 8 regular congregations in SW France. She writes:
In 2008 for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity I was invited by the Benedictine Community of Sisters at Belloc in the Pyrenean foothills to talk about my work as a woman priest. I talked for about an hour, having prepared it all in French (of course), but then came the questions....They had SO many! The first was ‘Can you really do everything a male priest can do?’ Their interest was far-reaching and deep, ranging from a plethora of pastoral issues to what I wear! Many of them were passionate about women’s ministry. I was asked to robe up and to process to the chapel with the Mother Superior for Vespers, to read the Gospel and to give the blessing. That I did in both French and English, and I did fine it very moving indeed.

1 comment:

  1. I find these vignettes so heartening...I just wish they could have a wider airing than just this blog. Is there the basis of an article with photos for Church Times here?
    I'm sure Paul Handley would be interested.

    ReplyDelete