The Pope urged Churches to take steps that lead to full communion; questions still separate us, but the Holy Father expressed the hope that these can be overcome by prayer and dialogue. He affirmed he importance of the "central content of Christ's message that we can all proclaim together". That message is "the fatherhood of God, the victory of Christ over sin and death with his cross and resurrection, and confidence in the Spirit's transforming action".
The Pope listed some common challenges on which Christians can give a common witness:
- the safeguarding of creation
- promotion of the common good and of peace
- the defense of the centrality of the human person
- the commitment to overcome the miseries of our time such as hunger, indigence, illiteracy, and the unequal distribution of goods
- secularization and indifference
- the difficult ethical topics in regard to the beginning and end of life.
- the limits of science and of technology
- dialogue with other religions